LASIK is a quick and proven surgery that has helped millions of people improve their sight, but not everyone meets the criteria for this procedure. Dr. Christian is an ophthalmologist, which means he is the most highly trained medical doctor in the field of the eye. If LASIK is not your best option, there may be another more suited to your situation. Dr. Christian will advise as to what is best for you to have the outcome you’re looking for.
Below is a list of the initial requirement for the LASIK procedure. Take a look and see if you qualify:
- I’m between the age of 18 and 60
- I have near- or farsightedness or have astigmatism
- I’ve had stable vision for the last 2 years
- I have no significant eye problems or health issues that may affect the eyes
- I’m not pregnant or nursing
The above requirements are very basic. Since your eyes are unique to you, there is no way to tell if you’re a candidate without a personal exam and consultation with Dr. Christian. He will ensure you fully meet the health and medical requirements.Learn more about LASIK Surgery
Some aspects of the initial exam include:
- A review of your eyes' overall health
- A measurement of the thickness and shape of the cornea
- Corneal topography
- Your optical history, including use of glasses or contact lenses
- Establishing your prescription and refractive error in each eye
- Dilation of the eyes to check the health of the retina and optic nerve
- Dry eye test
More on Corneal Topography
Corneal topography is vital in the success of LASIK surgery, so it deserves more mention here. It is a technique for mapping the surface curvature of the eye and creating a three-dimensional map of it. Dr. Christian will use this extremely detailed map to plan the exact procedure needed for your specific eye. This is your “pre-op” plan to ensure the surgery goes as well as possible. An added benefit of this technique is its ability to detect a previously undiagnosed, non-optimum condition or disease. The Los Angeles LASIK surgery procedure is completely painless and is carried out in seconds.
After your eye evaluation, you will be able to sit down with Dr. Christian and discuss your situation. Again, LASIK is not for everyone, but there are definitely other options to improve your sight. Dr. Christian is here for you to deliver the best and proper care to get the outcome you want. Please call our office today to schedule a consultation.